Sunday, December 30, 2007

Urban Miracle!

Miracles do happen in cities. Here I am not talking about stories in Readers Digest or newspaper clippings about ancestral parsi wealth left behind to unsuspecting domestic helps but much smaller day-to-day incidents which are such a deviation from the usual norm that they can be classified in no other terms than a miracle. Since it happens in a city context, let me classify them as being urban miracles.

As an example, one happened to me today, the 29’th of Dec, 2007. I achieved a feat which very little Mumbaikars have managed to. Traveling between Bandra-Wadala, I was in a completely empty compartment of a local train. What’s more, I’ve photographic evidence of the same which I attach below.



Now for readers outside of Mumbai- let me try and put this in context. Its akin to meeting a polite and courteous DTC conductor in Delhi, an empty Victoria maidan in Calcutta on a Sunday, and an honest auto-rickshaw wallah in Bangalore.


Cheers and best wishes for the new year!

No comments: