Thursday, January 1, 2009

2009: Where would I go?

First day of the year. A time to take stock and to make new plans. Since i am not really good at doing the former, let me concentrate on the plans bit. Its kinda more positive and makes for a better read. This time though, ill keep it simple and all related to travel. Either I do that in 2009, or i dont. Nothing in between. And travel because to me it symbolizes letting go and a deep commitment at the same time. Therefore none of the below wishes are going to be easy to achieve. However for it to be a good read, i shall start with the most exotic and then drill down to the more mundane one's. Here goes.


1. Everest base camp: South side. From Pokhara in Nepal. Its a 10-12 day trek which has sort of stuck in my imagination ever since i last visited Pokhara in 2004.

Well, reason are plenty. First and foremost, its sounds way too cool! I mean as proof just imagine this scenario where you have a conversation with a friend who's just back from his holiday as well.

Friend: "Hey, hi. How was your holiday. Where did u go?"
You(very nonchalantly, of course) : Yawn! I just returned from south face base camp yesterday.
Friend (slightly bewildered) : What base camp?
You: Everest, of course. I wanted to go in from the more difficult North Face but those stupid commis in Tibet refused my visa. Where did you go?
Friend: (sheepish) Matheran. I saw a lot of horses there.


Yep, that can surely be me. Except maybe for that visa rejection bit.


2. Istanbul, Turkey : Its contradictions that this city offers that draws me in. At the same point in time this (more than anywhere else in this world) has been described as being: civilized and barbaric, old and new, christian and muslim, europe and asia, etc etc. Source of recent inspiration has been Paul Theroux's repeated praise spread across 30 years in both The Great Railway Bazaar and Ghost Train to the Eastern Star. And of course quotes such as the ones mentioned below also help.

"If one had but a single glance to give the world, one should gaze on Istanbul."

Alphonse de Lamartine

3. Palolem, Goa: This ones easy.One of the southern most beaches in Goa and apparently the most pristine. Though every single time im in Goa people have reminded me to go there, ive never had an oppurtunity to do so. Hope to tick this off my list pretty soon.

Thats it folks. My three place to go in 2009. Tell me yours.















1 comment:

donscave said...

im game for nepal. pick a date after march!
Goa is a go too later in the yr!